Specialty Industrial Machinery
P.O. box 7
02150 Espoo, Finland
Tel.: +358(0)204 75 1
Fax.: +358(0)204 75 4496
- High score on climate change performance (CDP disclosure insight action)
- The world’s most innovative companies Forbes 59th
- KONE units from over 30 countries participated in World Wildlife Fund’s Earth Hour.
- Forbes 2018 Worlds best employers 2000
- FSTE 4 Good
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
Every day, around 200,000 people move into cities across the globe. For KONE, their mission is to improve the flow of urban life. They tend to understand People Flow in and between buildings, and they aim to make people’s journeys safe, convenient and reliable. Their vision is to deliver the best People Flow® experience, by providing Ease, Effectiveness and Experiences to users and customers over the full life-cycle of the buildings.
Collaborative innovation and new competencies
New technologies are changing our lives and customers’ lives faster than ever. Their people drive their success in this change, which requires them to learn and innovate in new ways.
Customer-centric solutions and services
Customers choose partners who best understand their changing needs and help them succeed. They tend to understand these needs, and offer flexible solutions and services which benefit customers and users in the best way.
Fast and smart execution
Customers want their partners in construction projects and building services to be professional, fast and reliable. They choose partners that continuously improve and focus on what is essential. They will increase speed and work smarter to focus on activities that are valuable to the customer.
True service mindset
Customers value partners who strive to understand and take action to exceed expectations. They try to make a difference by serving their customers better than anybody else.
Company Sustainable Activity
- Reduce facility-related carbon footprint by 15% by 2022 compared to 2017
- Increase share of green electricity to 50% by 2021
- Achieve 0% landfill waste at our manufacturing units by 2030
Driving innovation and improving resource efficiency
Today, more than half of the world’s population lives in urban areas and by 2050, that number is expected to increase to 68%. Urbanization means expanding cities and ever-higher buildings with a growing number of tenants. Innovations in urban development can play an important role in advancing social inclusion, economic prosperity and climate action. Material consumption is predicted to double by 2050. Reducing the impact urban areas have on the environment is essential for a more sustainable future.
- Deep understanding of customer needs
- Sustainable innovations and business models
- Resource efficiency
- Low-carbon operations
Providing the most sustainable offering
Elevators, escalators and automatic building doors are everywhere in urban environments, and the safety of the millions of people who use them is their top priority. In addition, the quality and eco-efficiency of their solutions are essential. Quality is embedded in everything they do, as they strive to deliver the best customer and equipment user experience. Eco-efficient solutions are a must in combating climate change and ensuring responsible consumption.
- Customer satisfaction
- Product and service quality
- End user safety and accessibility
- Energy efficiency of solutions and life cycle thinking
Being the best employer and attracting talent
One of their strategic targets is to make KONE a great place to work. They strive to maintain a safe and healthy working environment and foster a collaborative culture, where people are motivated to develop their competencies and deliver the best results. They see diversity as a strength and prohibit discrimination of any kind.
- Competence development
- Fair employment practices
- Motivated and engaged employees
- Diversity and non-discrimination
- Employee safety and well-being
Enabling our partners and societies to prosper
KONE directly contributes to economic development in the countries where they operate. In addition, they work with approximately 35,000 suppliers who provide them with, for example, raw materials, components and modules, as well as logistics, installation and other services. As a responsible corporate citizen and business partner, they are committed to making a net positive impact for sustainable and smart urban developments.
- Generating long-term returns
- Creating wealth via taxes and employment
- Ethical business practices
- Long-term relationships with our suppliers
- Supporting local communities
→ Best possible A classifications according to the ISO 25745 energy efficiency standard for KONE 3000 TranSys™ and a high-rise KONE 3000 MiniSpace™ elevators.
- Singapore Green Building Product (SGBP) certificates awarded for four additional KONE solutions: KONE TransitMaster™ 140 escalator, KONE 3000 S MonoSpace®, KONE 3000 S MiniSpace™ and KONE 3000 TranSys™ elevators.
- Approved Byggvarubedömningen (BVB) assessments for KONE MonoSpace® 500 and KONE MonoSpace® 700 elevators and KONE TravelMaster™ 110 and KONE TransitMaster™ 140 escalators in Sweden as the first company in the industry.
- KONE’s first Health Product Declaration published for KONE MonoSpace® 700.
- KONE France won the Low Carbon Trophy by the French building developer Nexity.
- KONE New Zealand maintained the carboNZero™ certification and listed among the top 20 reducers in New Zealand by Enviro-Mark Solutions.
- KONE’s corporate units, all major manufacturing units, excluding our small manufacturing unit in Sweden, and R&D units are ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 certified. During the year, these units were recertified according to the latest 2015 versions of the standards.
- In total, 25 of our country organizations are ISO 14001:2015 certified (2017: 20), and KONE’s manufacturing units in the Czech Republic and Italy ISO 50001 certified.
- A total of 90% of our strategic suppliers are ISO 14001 certified (2017: 94%).
- Extensive trainings and 24 workshops for KONE employees and over 250 suppliers globally for the sustainability and transparency of material use, resource efficiency and green building requirements.
- 97% of strategic supplier factories ISO 9001 certified and 90% strategic suppliers ISO 14001 certified
- ISO 25745 (elevators A rating)
- 14 Elevator models with A-class ISO 25745 highest energy efficiency ratings and three escalator models with the best A+++ classification
Sustainable Development Goals
How the company covers SDGs
- 33% of all electricity consumption at KONE facilities comes from renewable sources
- 100% of the electricity consumed at KONE’s corporate head offices (excluding temporary office spaces) and our manufacturing and R&D sites in Finland, Italy, and the Netherlands is green electricity.
- 90% of the metals used in KONE solutions can be recycled.
- Up to 70% energy savings by modernizing an elevator
→ In 2018, KONE’s overall operational carbon footprint relative to net sales decreased by 4.0% compared to 2017, with sales growth calculated at comparable exchange rates. In 2018, our Scope 1 and 2 carbon footprint relative to net sales decreased by 5.5%. KONE’s carbon footprint data is externally assured.
→ KONE recognized among the top climate change performers by CDP with a leadership score of A- for the sixth consecutive year. We were also included in the FTSE4Good ESG Index Series and awarded the Ecovadis gold medal for our sustainability performance being in the top 2% of all companies assessed.
- KONE solutions delivered to LEED, BREEAM and other certified green buildings globally.
- KONE Australia installed solar panels in two regional offices.
- KONE Australia and KONE Singapore and Asia-Pacific regional head offices moved to green building certified offices.
- KONE Finland now sources green electricity for the majority of its facilities. KONE Italy now sources green electricity for all its facilities.
- KONE Norway purchased over 40 new electric vehicles and several electric bicycles
- KONE Austria achieved carbon neutrality for 2018.
Kone company is well on its way to beig fully sustainable: Member of UN Global Compact, international recognitions (CDP, FTSE4Good). They work with suppliers certified with international standards (ISO 14001), but not all their factories and products are certified. They do not hold primary certificates according to our Index. While waiting for this to happen, they are rating as a B.