21, Pangyo-ro 255 beon-gil
Tel: (02) 6244-2114
Fax: (02) 6244-2997
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
No CSO or equivalent mentioned or found.
- 2019 Green Company and Green Management Award from Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
- “Excellent” at the 2019 Mutual Growth Index Awards, for two consecutive years since 2018
- “Company of the Year” for enhanced shareholder value at the 2019 Newsis Korea Stocks and IR Awards
- “Industrial Service Medal” in 2019 for prevention of industrial disasters
- CSR Excellence Award for Korean companies in China for four consecutive years since 2016, receiving recognition as an excellent company for its social contribution
Report created by Katerina Vargova
The Mando Corporation, with headquarters in Seoul, Korea, is the largest global Tier 1 Korean Original Equipment Manufacturer and supplier to General Motors, Cadillac, Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Nissan, Kia Motors Company, Fiat, Volkswagen, BMW, Suzuki, Hyundai Motor Company, and many other global automobile distributors. Mando is a global automotive parts company, supplying automotive parts to over 60 domestic and overseas car manufacturers. In Pangyo Global R&D Center and over 50 global sites, including those in Asia, North America, South America, and Europe, Mando executes the processes of design, assembly, manufacture, supply, and sales.
It has an annual profit topping over $6 billion USD every year. It is currently owned and run by the original founding parent company, Halla Group. It was handed over to Halla by Sunsage B.V, a daughter company of JP Morgan.
In 2014, Mando was split into two companies, with the legal successor changing its name to Halla Holdings and a new entity named Mando being created. This was done to create a holding company. Mando has three main areas of business: Steering parts, Brake parts, and Suspension parts.
Mando also focuses on developing advanced technologies with high added value for automotive parts that form the basis of automobile safety, such as chassis products, autonomous driving, and hybrid/electric/hydrogen fuel cars.
Mando is part of a Halla Group which is composed of Automobile, Logistics, Investment banking, Ground transportation, Education, Construction, and sports and Entertainment companies with over 10,000+ employees around the world. These companies are all part of the same ownership under one CEO.
Company Sustainability Activity
Mando considers eco-friendly factors from the product design stage and makes efforts to find solutions for environmental issues. In 2019, Mando participated in the governmental project called “Reduction of Non-Exhaust Emissions from Vehicles” hosted by the Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy. Furthermore, all of Mando’s global sites are advancing the environmental management system by acquiring ISO 14001 certification and enhancing the compliance system for environmental laws in each country.
Mando aims to lead the future mobility industry with its core technologies. Mando will expedite to secure the necessary technology for each level of autonomous driving and quickly put them into products/services to promote the convenience of both drivers and passengers. These activities will lead Mando in achieving its vision and become the cornerstones of creating a better tomorrow.
To realize sustainable growth, Mando pursues sustainability management based on creating economic, environmental, and social value. In 2019, to strengthen the sustainability management system, Mando set 10 goals and 20 specific tasks and improved its performance indicator, striving for the realization of sustainability management that leads to the actual creation of values.
- 43% reduction of VOC emission compared to 2018
- 2,131 TJ energy usage saving compared to 2018
- 100 tons of reduction of incinerated waste compared to 2018
- $397,027 reduction of yearly electricity costs through the operation of ESS
- Strengthening of the environmental management system
- Compliance with local and international environmental regulations
- Reduction of energy consumption and GHG emissions
- Reduction of the amount of wastewater and waste
- Using eco-friendly products and services
- Expansion of volunteer activities for employees
- Initiation of new social contribution activities
- Creation of a safe working environment
- Strengthening of the environmental management system – 100% of worksites with ISO 14001 certification
- Compliance with local and international environmental regulations – 0 cases of violations of environmental regulations
- Reduction of energy consumption – in 2019 energy consumption within the organization was 2,131 TJ (2,258 TJ in 2018)
- Total GHG emission 103,521 tCO2-eq in 2019 of which were direct (Scope 1) GHG emission 7,911 tCO2-eq in 2019 vs 9,007 tCO2-eq in 2018
- The amount of wastewater generated in 2019 was 240,857 m3 vs 272,198 m3 in 2018
- The amount of waste generated in 2019 was 16,875,490 kg vs 17,575,810 kg in 2018; 93% (15,681,680 kg) of waste recycling in 2019 and 2018
- Supply chain CSR management – 92% of new partners screened using social/environmental criteria
- 1,607 employees produced 9952.2 hours of volunteer activity in 2019
- Initiation of new social contribution activities – $428,681 donations to local communities
- Creation of a safe working environment – Factor of Safety Index is 0.45
- Fostering of future talents – 43 training hours per employee; $4,755,288 total training expenses in 2019
- ISO 14001 – the plants in Pyeongtaek, Wonju, and Iksan
- ISO 27001 – the foundation for safely protecting information assets
- ISO 45001 – the aim of enhancing safety and health levels of its workers, Mando systematically manages industrial accidents in the workplace
- ISO 22301 – Mando is building its emergency response capabilities by settling the Business Continuity Management System to reach a global level
- ISO/IEC 17021 – requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems that are at least as demanding as the requirements of the International Standard on Quality Control 1 and comply with the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants issued by the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants.
- ISO 26000 – Mando’s commitments to operating in a socially responsible way
- IATF 16949 – plants in Pyeongtaek, Wonju, and Iksan received the modified IATF16949 certificate, enhancing the responsiveness and safety of quality in accordance with the latest laws and regulations
- Green Company Appointment Certificate
UN Sustainable Development Goals
UN SDGs Compliance
- The Goal of Love Fund – Mando makes donations based on the number of goals scored by the Anyang Halla Ice Hockey Team and its performance in the league, thus assisting the children from low-income households in the city of Anyang.
- Scholarship for local teenagers in the regions surrounding Mando’s business divisions
- Roly-Poly Love Wheelchair for the disabled – program that has been supporting families of car accident victims that suffer from physical disabilities since 2012
- Donation activities for communities in the U.S. – Mando America Corporation (MCA) initiates various donation programs, engaging in social contribution activities for local communities.
- Charitable activities in Poland – Mando Corporation Poland (MCP) sponsors social responsibility projects organized by the local community each year and arranges volunteer activities for its employees and other NGOs. One of the major activities is supporting physical and medication therapy for the recovery of car accident victims.
- Support for vulnerable social groups in China
- Support for children of vulnerable social groups in Brazil – Mando Corporation Brazil (MCB) visits impoverished regions every month to support children in need. Mando donated toys, snacks, and food, striving for the happy lives and a promising future of children regardless of their financial backgrounds or social status.
- Support for self-development of students of vulnerable social groups in Mexico – Mando Corporation Mexico (MCM) conducted the “School Visits, Sowing the Future” program in hopes of encouraging students of impoverished regions to dream for a better future and work towards their dreams. In 2019, MCM visited seven educational institutions and met with 185 students to inspire them to achieve their dreams and goals.
- Labour-management joint strengthening of accident prevention
- Symbiotic cooperation programs for the safety of partners
- Customized management for high-risk workers
- Communications platform “Mantong” for employees, activities for open communication, operation of value board
- Shortening of work hours for parents with young children, expansion of paternity leave, operation of daycare centres, expansion of flexible working hours
- Support for job training programs, such as the Work Smart Program and Halla Business School
- Operation of support system for resigning employees
- Development of mutual growth programs, such as financial support, training support, and strengthening of technology competitiveness, for partners
- R&D of eco-friendly automotive technology
- Project for the development of robot solutions
- Investment in promising startups
- Operation of a smart factory
- Automation of work processes
- Management of the greenhouse gas emissions through the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
- Reduction of energy costs through the operation of the energy storage system (ESS)
- Technological support for energy reduction of small- and medium-sized enterprises
- Reduction of energy consumption during non-operating hours
- Maintenance of the ISO 14001 Certification
- Green Company Certification
- Development of a night patrolling robot for a park in Baegot New Town in Siheung-si, Gyeonggi-do
- Development and operation of a hydrogen station app (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, H2KOREA)
- R&D for the response to the regulation on brake wear particle emission (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy)
Mando Corporation has many ISO certificates, most of them related to safety, and all Mando plants are ISO 14001 certified. Mando is not listed in DJSI but is listed in GRI and in SDGs Business Index.
Mando is recognized for its sustainable management and is referred to as a green company and complies with 4 of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Mando Corporation is rated a B.
Analyst Outlook: Neutral
Further reading did not show that Mando was violating its sustainable policies. Mando is on the way to a more sustainable future, but its targets are not clearly or quantitatively formulated, therefore a neutral outlook.
- One of the outstanding companies for 2020 Sustainable Development Goals Business Index
- Total GHG emission 103,521 tCO2-eq in 2019
- 100% of worksites with ISO 14001 certification