Containers & Packaging
One Michael Owens Way Plaza
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
- O-I was ranked third among the top 55 Ohio-based Fortune 1000 for diversity in corporate governance by the National Diversity Council
- Package of the Year 2019- Czech Republic
- 2019 Ameristar Design Excellence Award (Expression)
- The Starpack Industry Awards (Expression)
- “Technical Novelty” award (Expression)
- ‘Promising Launch’ by The Oscar De L’Emballage (Oscars of Packaging) Awards(Expression)
- “Best Bottle in Glass” award
- Vision for America award, granted by Keep America Beautiful (KAB) non-profit organization
According to Owens-Illinois: “At O-I Glass, Inc. (NYSE: OI), we love glass and we’re proud to make more of it than any other glass bottle or jar producer in the world. We love that it’s beautiful, pure and completely recyclable. With global headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio, we are the preferred partner for many of the world’s leading food and beverage brands. Working hand and hand with our customers, we give our passion and expertise to make their bottles iconic and help build their brands around the world. With more than 26,500 people at 77 plants in 23 countries, O-I has a global impact, achieving revenues of $6.9 billion in 2018.”
Company Sustainable Activity
According to the company: “At O-I, we are focused on the future. Our goals are ambitious but achievable.
- 25% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 (interim target of 10% by 2025). This goal exceeds their expected rate of improvement for their industry under the Science Based Targets Initiative and the Paris Accord.
- Increase the global average of post-consumer recycled content in their products to 50% by 2025 (2017 baseline was 38%). O-I is taking a tailored approach to increasing recycled content rates across its enterprise network as rates vary significantly by geography (e.g., Europe already exceeds this goal).
- As part of their journey toward zero injuries, they are committed to a 35% improvement in O-I’s three-year rolling average Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) by 2025. They continue to enhance face-to-face communication with shop floor employees and increase employee engagement.
- They will continue to foster a culture of employee well-being and an environment where development opportunities exist for everyone. They are expanding their employee development programs, with a significant focus on leadership development and a greater level of diversity. Diversity leads to a broader range of perspectives that yield superior decisions and outcomes. They are focused on increasing all aspects of diversity across our management team, which includes taking steps to increase the representation of women in senior leadership roles (including the top three levels within the organization) compared to the base of 28% women in 2017.
Owens-Illinois sees tremendous opportunity to positively impact the planet and improve conditions in the communities where we operate. They will collaborate with customers, NGOs, suppliers and local leaders with a goal of implementing glass container collection programs in 75% or more of the communities we serve by 2025.”
- Cradle to cradle certification at 90% of their operations
Sustainable Development Goals
How company covers SDGs
PROGRESS (snapshot of the results Owens-Illinois achieved (2007-2017) based on O-I’s previous sustainability goals)
- Energy : 23% Reduction in absolute energy, or a 14% reduction per container packed
- Emissions : 24% Reduction in absolute tonnes of CO 2 equivalent emissions, or a 14% reduction per container packed
- Recycled glass : 38% Global average for post-consumer recycled glass (cullet) use
- Safety : 38% Improvement in Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) (2013-2017)
Owens-Illinois is a glass packaging manufacturers with certified cradle to cradle at nearly 90% of its operations. O-I is contributing towards a better future, through a better packaging solution, as packaging contributes to vast amount of wastage and landfill. Therefore they are rated as a B.