Ping An Bank
5047 Shennan East Road Shenzhen, 518001 China
No notable listings available.
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
This company does not disclose this information.
- 2020 Gartner Financial Services Innovation Award
- Euromoney World’s Best Digital Bank 2020
- Business Model of the Year at The Asian Banker International Excellence in Retail Financial Services Awards 2019
- “2020 Best Cyber Security and IT Risk Management Project” in the Asian Pacific region from Asian Banker
- Global Finance Best Private Bank 2020
- “2020 Excellent Private Bank” in the Golden Shell Award of 2020 China Asset Management Annual Conference
- “Golden Bull Award for Bank Wealth Management Product of 2020” from China Securities Journal
- “Second Prize of 2019 Banking Technology Development Award by PBOC”
- “Asset Management Excellence Award of 2020” from Shanghai Securities News
- 2020 Interbank Domestic Currency Market Assessment published by National Interbank Funding Centre
Report created by Samuel Hamway
Ping An Bank
Ping An Bank is a Chinese commercial bank headquartered in Shenzhen, China. The bank is a subsidiary of Ping An Insurance. The bank operates largely in mainland China, and is a leading financial institution worldwide. Ping An Bank also has a Hong Kong based representative branch.
Ping An Bank offers a wide range of banking services for its customers. The bank operates in five divisions: corporate banking, retail banking, interbank fund, investment banking and small business financing. Specific services include deposits, loans, local currency exchange, credit investigation, spot transaction, purchase and leasing of gold, and more.
The bank is one of the largest financial institutions in the world, boasting CN¥ 4.48 trillion in total assets. By assets, Ping An Bank is the 13th largest bank in China, and the 54th largest financial institution globally.
Ping An Bank’s parent company, Ping An Insurance, is one of the largest conglomerates in the world. The firm was ranked 6th on Forbes 2021 Global 2000, and is consistently ranked as a top brand of financial products.
Company Sustainability Activity
For Ping An Bank, sustainability efforts and initiatives are largely directed by its associated parent company, Ping An Insurance. Ping An Bank itself does not disclose these sustainability initiatives, instead they are disclosed by the parent company. For Ping An Insurance, implementing ESG principles into corporate management generates value for shareholders, customers, employees, communities, environments, and partners. Adhering to sustainable principles helps realize the firm’s goal of helping people live a better quality of life.
Ping An Insurance discloses several broad principles in which its business operations work to adhere to, including:
- Employing leading technologies to enable environmental protection and governance to facilitate an environment-friendly business ecosystem.
- Adhering to the philosophy of responsible investment.
- Pursuing long-term healthy, sustainable development of itself and society.
- Promoting social and economic development with integrated financial services.
Ping An Insurance aims to achieve these broad goals within all of its subsidiaries, including Ping An Bank. This is achieved through a variety of targeted and transparent initiatives aiming for complete carbon neutrality by 2060.
- Aims to reduce carbon emission intensity by 20% in 10 years.
- Aims to reduce paper use intensity by 80% in 10 years.
- Aims to increase carbon emissions reduction by 80% in 5 years.
- Pledges to construct all new buildings as certified sustainable.
- Respect human rights and invest in achieving equity in impoverished rural regions.
- Extend green credit lines.
- Comply with UN Sustainable Development Goals through transparent initiatives.
- In taking 2018 as the base year, Ping An Insurance aims to reduce carbon emission intensity by 5%, 10% and 20% by 2020, 2025 and 2030 respectively.
- In taking 2016 as the base year, the firm aims to reduce paper use intensity by 50%, 60% and 80% over the next three, five and ten years respectively.
- Ultimately attempting to streamline electronic operations, Ping An looks to increase carbon emissions reduction by 60% and 80% over the next three and five years respectively.
- Ping An Insurance pledges that all new buildings of Ping An Group will reach China’s Green Building Label (2-star) or equivalent Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification.
- Promises to support China’s goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2060
- In 2020, Ping An’s carbon emissions reached 530,299 tCO2 e, and its carbon emissions reduction potential reached 53,092 tCO2 e.
- Achieved more than 140 billion USD in responsible investment from clean energy to affordable healthcare.
- Extended green credit lines of more than 8.5 billion USD, with a balance of loans at the end of 2019 exceeding 3.4 billion USD.
- Signed Climate Action 100+ and the United Nations’ Principle of Responsible Investment
- Provided over 29,834 million RMB in industrial poverty alleviation funds, benefiting an impoverished population of 730,000.
- Increased the per capita income of 150,200 registered poor residents.
- Built or upgraded 1,228 rural clinics, trained 11,843 village doctors, and provided over 110,000 people with free medical examinations.
- Funded the upgrading of 1,054 rural schools and trained 14,110 village teachers, benefiting about 300,000 students.
- Donated supplies and cash exceeding 180 million RMB to combat COVID-19 in 2020.
- Provided over 13.6 trillion RMB in complimentary insurance benefits for COVID-19 crisis.
- Leveraged its technologies to support the government in the combat against COVID-19.
The company has not obtained any certificates/labels regarding sustainability.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
UN SDGs Compliance
SDG 1: No Poverty
- Ping An actively responds to the national call for poverty alleviation and provides inclusive financial services to the poor through its insurance and banking businesses.
- Closely follows the national strategy of rural vitalization to contribute to the high-quality economic and social development, increasing the per capita income of residents.
SDG 2: Zero Hunger
- Through products and services including agricultural insurance, inclusive agricultural loans, and smart agricultural platforms, Ping An contributes to sustainable agricultural development.
SDG 4: Quality Education
- Ping An provides support for charitable education programs, focusing on the Juvenile Science and Technology Literacy Enhancement Program.
SDG 5: Gender Equality
- By cooperating closely with organizations including China Women’s Development Foundation, Ping An has initiated a public welfare program “Mother’ s Needlework” to help rural women in ethnic areas increase income through flexible employment.
SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- Ping An implements a water-saving plan within its subsidiaries, invests in public drinking water facilities, and helps rural areas improve the conditions of drinking water and sanitary facilities.
SDG 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
- Ping An supports clean energy development and energy structure upgrades through responsible investments, new energy credit, thematic funds, and insurance products.
SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Ping An promotes the mobility of talent and various factors of production, raises returns on assets of the companies in which Ping An have invested, and supports the Belt and Road Initiative.
SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities
- Ping An created novel financial services platforms including AI-BANK, and offers financial services in rural villages and other remote areas.
SDG 13: Climate Action
- Ping An actively manages carbon emissions in its operations and provides environmental insurance products to help society mitigate the impact of climate change.
- Ping An promotes low-carbon development through green investments.
SDG 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Ping An ensures transparent and compliant operations and reduces compliance and operational risks by improving policies and educating employees.
SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals
- Ping An is a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment and the United Nations Principles for Sustainable Insurance.
Secondary SDGs: 3, 8, 11, 12
Ping An Bank’s sustainability efforts are entirely disclosed by its parent company, Ping An Insurance. Ping An Insurance is dedicated to implementing sustainability in the business models of their subsidiaries, including Ping An Bank.
The firm has adopted several overarching strategies in line with many of the UN Sustainable Development Goals that will impact Ping An Bank’s sustainability practices. These include notably responsible investment initiatives, green credit lines, signing Climate Action 100+ and the United Nations’ Principles of Responsible Investment, and engaging in large financial poverty relief efforts.
Ping An Insurance is transparent in its ESG reporting, disclosing its specific financial efforts and initiatives in their alignment with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
As the parent of Ping An Bank, Ping An Insurance has been awarded ESG Investor of the Year for Insurers, China at The Triple A Sustainable Investing Awards for Institutional Investor, ETF, and Asset Servicing Providers by The Asset Magazine. The parent firm was also the first Chinese company to be listed on the 2019 Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index.
While Ping An Insurance’s transparency and efforts are well noted, Ping An Bank itself does not offer its own sustainability reporting. The translation of the efforts in the context of Ping An Bank itself are not directly clear. Furthermore, neither the bank or its parent has a Chief Sustainability Officer or equivalent position.
In addition, Ping An’s goals are not aimed towards complete sustainability in the short term, despite their noteworthy efforts and specific reporting.
This company has been rated a C.
Analyst Outlook: Neutral
Ping An Bank’s parent company, Ping An Insurance, is clearly pursuing sustainability. Despite this, the firm lacks sustainability certifications, specific sustainability leadership, and direct reporting from Ping AN Bank itself.
- Ping An’s responsible investment exceeded 1.03 trillion RMB by 2020.
- The balances of inclusive loans and green loans were 871,461 million and 35,897 million RMB respectively.
- Ping An and China Economic Information Service jointly launched the “Xinhua CN-ESG Evaluation System” to form a localized ESG system.
- The Ping An Rural Communities Support program has provided over 29,834 million RMB in industrial poverty alleviation funds.
- In 2020, Ping An donated funds and supplies exceeding 180 million RMB to fight against COVID-19.