Retail and Wholesale
Isernhaegener Strasse 16 Burgwedel, D-30938
Rossmann does not disclose any listings.
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
Rossmann does not hold any awards at the moment.
Report created by Ajith Thangavelautham
Dirk Rossmann GmbH (ROSSMANN), with 56,300 employees in Europe and 4,244 branches, including 2,233 in Germany, is one of the largest drugstore chains in Europe. In 2020, the ROSSMANN Group achieved sales of 10.35 billion euros in Germany, Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Albania, Kosovo, Spain, and Turkey.
ROSSMANN currently operates 4,244 drug stores internationally. With a product range of more than 21,700 different items, ROSSMANN is a pioneer in the drugstore market.
The ROSSMANN range is highly customer-oriented. The drugstore range of the largest sales outlets comprises around 21,700 items.
In addition to the regular drugstore assortment with a focus on skin and body care, food, and luxury foods, baby, detergents, cleaning and cleaning agents, and hair care, ROSSMANN offers selected promotional items from the ROSSMANN world of ideas, the ROSSMANN photo service and an extensive range of natural food and wine. A perfume department with around 400 well-known fragrances, toys, stationery, and extended household goods ranges round off the range depending on the size of the branch.
Company Sustainability Activity
ROSSMANN does not provide an English version of its sustainability report. The following information is taken from the website’s sections on sustainability.
Sustainable management has been an integral part of the corporate culture at ROSSMANN, treated as an ongoing process with constant learning and further development. They focus on decentralized structures with short decision-making paths to ensure flexibility and responsibility.
Sustainable management is their main focus as they believe that only an economically successful company can generate financial resources to invest in ecological, social, product and employee-related corporate responsibility, while these aspects then further contribute to their economic success.
ROSSMANN’s efforts towards incorporating sustainability throughout their business model include:
- Conserving resources and protecting the environment
- Sustainable product stewardship
- Ensuring a safe, inclusive, and empowering workplace
- Social engagement for families and children
No relevant highlights to list.
Recycling of Resources
- Upcycling waste materials
- Optimizing packaging and shipping logistics
Renewable Energy and High Efficiency
- Modernizing delivery car fleet to reduce GHG emissions
- Adoption of renewable energy
- Holistic energy management
Ecolabels for the ROSSMANN’s brands
- Easily-understood quality and environmental seals that focus on high quality and sustainable products for consumers who want to maintain a more sustainable lifestyle
Recycling of Resources
- Almost 50,000 tons of waste and recyclable materials are processed in eight regional waste disposal centers and almost all of them are recycled via certified waste disposal and environmental service providers
- The shipping boxes from ROSSMANN-Online-Logistik are FSC-certified, which means that they consist of a mix of recycled material and new materials from certified, sustainable forestry.
Renewable Energy and High Efficiency
- Almost 130 trucks have been 95% compliant with the Euro 6 emissions standard since the end of 2017
- Ten gas trucks have been in use in the Wustermark regional warehouse (Brandenburg) since November 2019. The stock is to be expanded in 2020. The new trucks with the Euro 6 Scania engines use liquefied natural gas (LNG) and enable quiet and quiet driving. Compared to a diesel truck, the CO2 emissions of a truck with an LNG drive are 20% lower
- In the Burgwedel shipping warehouse near Hanover, European hydropower provides the necessary energy.
- ROSSMANN has not relocated its shipping abroad in order to reduce costs – the goods come directly from Burgwedel to the customer.
- Installation of digital, remote-readable electricity meters in all ROSSMANN stores across the board as part of the DENA award-winning, operational energy management. They measure the energy consumption for lighting, air conditioning and ventilation. By means of regular energy audits according to DIN-EN-16247-1, the system operation is checked for its economic efficiency and recognized energy efficiency measures are initiated.
- The latest technology in heating, air conditioning, ventilation and lighting have been installed to save energy and keep reduce CO2 emissions
- New branches are equipped directly with LED technology, with lower power consumption and longer service life
- ROSSMAN has a wide variety of clear and standardized eco-labels for their products, both internally and externally validated
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
United Nations SDGs Compliance
The Impakter Index team aligns current company-wide sustainability initiatives with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in the following section.
- ROSSMANN helps to reduce inequality through various social initiatives such as “Action Man,” an organization committed to improving the living conditions of people with disabilities, and the “German Foundation for World Population,” co-founded by their CEO, that has operated multiple development projects in East Africa for more than 20 years.
- ROSSMANN supports responsible consumption and production through their extensive list of certifications to help consumers live more sustainably.
- ROSSMANN helps to protect the planet through their various initiatives to reduce energy use and GHG emissions, such as improvement to their delivery vehicles, using recycled material, and using state-of-the-art electricity management systems.
ROSSMANN’s efforts towards incorporating sustainability throughout their business model include conserving resources and protecting the environment, sustainable product stewardship, ensuring a safe, inclusive, and empowering workplace, and social engagement for families and children.
While ROSSMANN has a wealth of eco-labels, ensuring the sustainability of their products, their progress thus-far has mainly been consumer-facing.
They lack transparent data/reporting to validate their many claims of sustainability and furthermore do not have any clear plans or targets to reach further progress in energy reduction, adopting renewable energy, sustainable sourcing, etc.
This company has been rated a C.
Analyst Outlook: Negative
While their products are clearly labeled for consumers to make informed decisions, they fail to validate these labels through transparent and readily available information. In addition, they do not use or seem to consider the UN SDG framework.