Food & Drink
6869, Métropolitain Est
Montréal, Québec H1P 1X8
- CDP Climate
- CDP Water
- World Benchmark Alliance (WBA) recognizes Saputo as one of the 2,000 most influential companies by the impact on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
No relevant external article found.
Report created by Katerina Vargova
Saputo Inc. is a Montreal-based Canadian dairy company founded in 1954 by the Saputo family. Saputo produces, markets, and distributes a wide array of dairy products including cheese, fluid milk, extended shelf-life milk and cream products, cultured products, and dairy ingredients.
Saputo is one of the top ten dairy processors in the world, a leading cheese manufacturer and fluid milk and cream processor in Canada, the top dairy processor in Australia, and the second largest in Argentina. In the USA, Saputo ranks among the top three cheese producers and is one of the largest producers of extended shelf-life and cultured dairy products. In the United Kingdom, Saputo is the largest manufacturer of branded cheese and a top manufacturer of dairy spreads. Saputo products are sold in several countries under market-leading brands, as well as private label brands.
Company Sustainability Activity
The Saputo Promise is the company’s approach to social, environmental and economic performance based on seven pillars: Food Quality and Safety, People, Business Ethics, Responsible Sourcing, Environment, Nutrition and Healthy Living, and Community. The Board oversees the company’s practices, guidelines and policies related to the Saputo Promise.
The Saputo Promise is at the heart of Saputo’s business and keeps Saputo aligned on what matters most. As Saputo continues to grow as a global dairy processor, it is working towards building a healthier future for its employees, consumers, customers, and the communities they serve.
Saputo recognizes the importance of being accountable to its stakeholders, including employees, shareholders, investors, customers, consumers, suppliers and business partners, and they aim to communicate in a transparent and responsible manner about its progress to achieve its Promise.
- Zero tolerance for animal cruelty and Saputo has established a clear protocol to work with suppliers and authorities to effectively deal with situations where a breach of its Animal Welfare Policy is suspected.
- In FY2020 Scope 1 GHG emissions 560,142 ton CO2e, Scope 2 GHG emissions (location-based) 505,891 ton CO2e
- 16% of women in senior management, 50% of women in the Board of Directors
- In FY2020, Saputo remained committed to investing 1% of its annual pre-tax profits and encouraging volunteerism to build healthier communities where they operate.
- Improving animal welfare standards
- Saputo pledged to accelerate its global climate, water and waste performance and announced clear targets and a formal commitment to make significant and sustainable progress by 2025.
- Reduce the CO2 intensity of Saputo’s operations by 20% (against FY2020 baseline)
- Reduce the energy intensity of Saputo’s operations by 10% (against FY2020 baseline)
- Reduce the water intensity of Saputo’s operations by 10% (against FY2020 baseline)
- Improve Saputo’s wastewater quality
- Reduce total waste by 25% (against FY2020 baseline) and increase the diversion rate to 75%
- Reduce material use in packaging by 15% (against FY2020 baseline)
- Ensure 100% of packaging is reusable, recyclable, or compostable
- Ensure Saputo’s packaging includes at least 15% of recycled or renewable content
- In line with Saputo’s Animal Welfare Policy, Saputo continued to advocate in all its markets for improved animal welfare standards
- Saputo remained committed to supporting initiatives and training opportunities to help alleviate dairy production welfare issues
- Saputo reached 21,221 people in FY2020 through its in-house and affiliated animal welfare training programs
- Reduce the CO2 intensity and the energy intensity – Saputo is on course and has allocated its first wave of funds to support a dozen projects across its divisions with the potential of saving 8,000 tons of CO2 and 60,000 GJ of energy annually
- Reduce its food waste by 50%
- Saputo set up an Internal Sustainable Packaging Group, which is composed of packaging engineers, packaging procurement specialists, and sustainability experts from all its divisions. The Group meets quarterly to bring their complementary expertise together, creating an opportunity to connect, share challenges, and best practices around sustainable packaging.
UN Sustainable Development Goals
UN SDGs Compliance
- In FY2020, Saputo ran a pilot project at one of its Montréal distribution centres to establish a process for redistributing unsellable inventory to those in need. The early findings of its pilot showed a 30% reduction in food waste.
- Saputo accelerated its rollout to all operations globally and as a result, it has been able to distribute an estimated 1.8 million kg of products since the beginning of the pandemic, representing a reduction of more than 12,000 tons of CO2.
- Saputo developed the Nutrition and Healthy Living plan, outlining its core guiding principles when it comes to nutrition. In FY2020, Sapuro continued to set up the foundation of its plan by finalizing its responsible marketing principles as well as progressing on the development of its global nutrient profiling system.
- The promotion of healthy lifestyle habits is at the core of Saputo’s community engagement, and it aims to encourage and support organizations, projects, and programs that educate participants to make responsible food and nutrition choices and create opportunities to get people moving.
- Saputo Legacy Program aims to support the improvement of local sport and health amenities, helping entire families lead a more active and healthier lifestyle. To date, this program contributed to 50 projects, representing a total investment of $2.18 million. The permanent facilities targeted by the Legacy Program’s investments include soccer and baseball fields, multi-sport facilities, and hiking trails to name a few, benefiting communities in Canada, the USA, Argentina, and Australia.
- 50% of the Board of Directors are women, 28% of the total workforce are women, 16% of women in senior management
- Saputo recognizes that a diverse and inclusive environment which values diversity of thought, background, skills, and experience facilitates a broader exchange of perspectives.
- Recycled, brackish, and produced water are used in Saputo’s manufacturing operations wherever possible.
- Reusing and recycling enables greater operational efficiency and therefore minimize the amount of water Saputo withdraws. Secondary benefits include energy and chemical efficiency, product recovery, and cost reductions.
- Through the initiative of Diversity and Inclusion Global Council, Saputo aims to continue reviewing its current policies and procedures, as well as deploying learning and development programs with the intent of providing equal opportunities to all employees and potential candidates.
- Saputo implemented several programs and initiatives to promote Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace, including unconscious bias training, expanded parental leave benefits, gender-neutral job descriptions, and a pilot program to test flexible working arrangements.
- With its employees, Saputo is also taking action to promote tolerance, inclusion, justice, and equality within its communities.
- In June 2020, Saputo launched the Donation Matching Program for equality. They match every dollar donated by its employees to organizations whose missions promote anti-racism, inclusion, social justice, anti-discrimination, and equality. To date, they’ve donated to organizations such as Black Lives Matter, EmbraceRace, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (NAACP LDF) and the Canadian Anti-Hate Network.
- Saputo’s goal is to safeguard the environment while continuing to grow as a world-class dairy processor.
- Saputo allocated additional resources including a three-year investment of $37.6 million to support the execution of its global action plan.
- Saputo’s operational efficiency and continuous improvement mean they are constantly looking for ways to reduce its waste, as well as ways to repurpose or divert it from landfills.
- Saputo continues to address its use of fossil fuels and embraces sustainable manufacturing practices, as well as finds ways to adapt its practices to ensure sustainable agriculture.
- For Saputo, climate action is about reducing its impact on, and adapting to, climate change and leveraging its capabilities as a business to create positive environmental changes.
Saputo Inc. doesn’t have any sustainability awards, is not listed in any leading indices besides CDP, and has no important certificates. Saputo complies with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals for which it gained recognition by the World Benchmark Alliance.
Further reading did not reveal any scandals or problems that could compromise Saputo. Saputo started its sustainable journey by defining its sustainable targets for 2025.
For its efforts, Saputo is rated C.
Analyst Outlook: Neutral
As a dairy company, Saputo has a zero-tolerance for animal cruelty and it is funding projects with the annual potential of saving 8,000 tons of CO2 and 60,000 GJ of energy.
- New long-term commitment to pursue environmentally responsible business practices
- Reduce its food waste by 50%
- A three-year investment of $37.6 million to support the execution of its global action plan