Software & Programming (E-commerce)
150 Elgin Street, 8th Floor
Ottawa, ON K2P 1L4
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
- Best Ecommerce platform 2019
Shopify is the leading omnichannel commerce platform. Business owners can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes.
Shopify currently powers over a million businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by independent business owners and brands such as Unilever, Allbirds, MVMT, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
Company Sustainable Activity
According to the company: “Human and technological development is sustainable when it meets the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to live and thrive in a sustainable way. Acting sustainably is critical for us to ensure that Shopify sees the next century. We fully endorse the views and concerns expressed in the most recent report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The report states that the Earth is on track to warm by more than 1.5 degrees Celsius (compared to pre-industrial levels) between 2030 and 2052. We understand that society must act to mitigate this warming and to reduce the impact on our planet, our business, and therefore the well-being of our merchants, employees, and partners. We know that successful businesses create value far beyond a company’s financial gains. In the past, we’ve focused on economic and social sustainability, and we’ve had a substantially positive impact in these areas. Our sustainability efforts to date show that we have always been conscious of the impact of our business decisions on the environment.
- Creating income generating opportunities for merchants and partners → They create income generating opportunities by providing our merchants and partners with a platform on which to run their businesses, and by facilitating merchant partner conversations.
- Democratizing commerce → Their platform provides anyone, anywhere with the opportunity to start a business, but we do understand that even on our platform there are still challenges in starting up, selling, and growing. This is why they are constantly innovating to reduce friction, to ensure that the future of commerce has more voices, not fewer.
- Societal well-being → They provide people with an affordable, easy-to-use platform to become entrepreneurs or to grow their existing entrepreneurial ventures, which allows them to experience the extensive personal benefits of entrepreneurship.
- Privacy and data security → At Shopify, privacy is a non-negotiable priority. We’ve purposefully built a privacy mindset into our culture and we have implemented strong controls over privacy and data security to uphold our commitment to maintaining merchant trust.
- Energy use and greenhouse gas emissions → They measure their energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions annually. To manage their impact they improve the energy efficiency of our office buildings and reduce GHG emissions that result from powering our platform.
- Waste from our operations → They minimize waste from office construction and renovations, by maximizing their existing spaces and reducing material waste when they do need to build or renovate. they manage their daily office waste through recycling, composting, and limiting waste in the first place.
- Carbon neutral operations → In 2019, Shopify began sourcing renewable power for heating, cooling, and powering their buildings. They have procured enough green energy to account for their natural gas and electricity-related carbon footprint in Canada. For travel-related emissions, which are 5x their operational footprint, they purchase verified carbon offsets.
- Carbon negative commitment → Removing carbon from the atmosphere is an essential way to slow the accumulation of greenhouse gases and mitigate our impact on a warming climate. Shopify is committed to investing at least $1 million USD each year into carbon sequestration. To read more about our plans, read Shopify CEO Tobi Lütke’s letter.
- Carbon-neutral platform → Data centers have historically been a big source of greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. In 2018, they decommissioned all of their data servers and shifted entirely to Google Cloud to power our platform. With this change, their platform is now carbon neutral, as Google matches 100% of the energy consumed by Google Cloud with renewable energy.
- Employee well-being → They ensure well-being by promoting health, wellness, and safety through their time-off policies, wellness resources, and Health and Safety Task Force, and through compensation that pays for impact, is competitive in the market, and is fair. They also encourage our employees to bring their authentic selves to work with the knowledge that Shopify offers a safe and inclusive environment
- Employee diversity and belonging → In 2018, they focused on gender, age, and race/ethnicity, which they identified as the biggest gaps across the dimensions of diversity at Shopify. And they showed some progress, as 44% of new hires in 2018 identified as women, versus 36% that identified as women in 2017. By deliberately creating spaces where employees feel included, valued, and heard, employees are encouraged to bring their full selves to work and contribute with their unique and innovative perspectives and experiences. This helps us achieve our mission of making commerce better for everyone.
- Supporting local communities → They engage with local communities through their partnerships, programs, sponsorships, and meetups that focus on entrepreneurship and tech ecosystems, and through our charitable contributions. They think locally and leverage their diverse and distributed teams across Shopify.
- Employee development and progression → Professional development is central to their culture. New hires all receive training and on boarding, and have access to many development programs through their journey to further build skills and mastery. Employees have clarity around job levels, and receive ongoing formal and informal feedback, all of which drives employee development at work.
GOVERNANCE AND ETHICS
→ Their business as a whole is governed by their Board of Directors and leadership team. Their sustainability efforts are distributed across the company with support from the Sustainability Leadership team. They ensure ethical conduct through formal policies which include our Code of Conduct, and Anti-Harassment and Violence Policy. We have fostered a strong culture where we all work towards our mission to make commerce better for everyone, in line with our rules of engagement.
ADDRESSING DOWNSTREAM IMPACTS
→ To date, although they have done some work in this area, it has not been an area of focus for us. Going forward, they see opportunities to use their unique position to work alongside their merchants to minimize the negative impacts of commerce globally, such as more resource-efficient fulfillment.”
- As of the end of 2018, 73% (943,000 square feet) of our leased office spaces are rated as either LEED Platinum or LEED Gold
- ISO 9001 – 2015 Certified Company
Sustainable Development Goals
How company covers SDGs
The concept of Shopify is to develop a global society through its platform. It’s a revolutionary Ecommerce platform which has led to empowerment of many communities. It is also very well aligned with SDGs. Shopify shows a real determination to be a carbon neutral platform. Therefore, they are rated as a B.