No 113, Sec 2
Zhongshan North Road
- GCCA (Became a member of the Global Cement and concrete association)
- TCFD (The first traditional industry enterprise in Taiwan to become a task force on Climate related Financial Disclosures supporter
CHIEF SUSTAINABILITY OFFICER
- Sustainability Award for Top 50 Enterprises in Traditional Manufacturing
- Silver Award for CSR Reporting in Traditional Manufacturing
- Award for Social Inclusiveness
- Award for Climate Leadership
- Award for Circular Economy Leadership
- Awarded by Taiwan Corporate Sustainability Awards (TCSA)
According to Yahoo Finance, Taiwan Cement Corporation manufactures and markets cement, cement-related products, and ready mix concrete in Taiwan. It operates through Cement, Chemical Engineering, Electricity, and Other segments. The company offers CNS Portland cement type and low-alkaline cement; conventional concrete, self-compacting concrete, and high flowing concrete; and aggregates. It also exports cement and cement clinkers to Europe, South America, Africa, and Southeast Asia. In addition, the company generates thermal and Renewable energy; processes and sells chemical materials, rubber raw materials, refractory materials, and lithium batteries; sells limestone; and offers property leasing and energy technology, information software design, afforestation, industrial port management, marine transportation, engineering, construction and lease, waste collection and treatment, business consulting, port facility, software product and equipment maintenance, logistics and transportation, and dangerous waste treatment services. Further, it is involved in the sand and gravel filtering and sale; import and export trading; warehousing, transportation, and sale of sand and gravel; mining excavation activities; and manufacture and sale of slag powder. Taiwan Cement Corporation was founded in 1946 and is headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan.
Company Sustainable Activity
According to the company
→ “Key Sustainability Achievements in 2018
- Accumulated capture of CO2 reached +355 tonnes
- Generated 7,409.4 million kWh of electricity using waste heat
- Our cement kilns processed +89.2 millions tonnes of non-Hazardous waste
- Water consumption at concrete plants decreased by – 27%
- 100% reuse of clay, silica and coal ash
- CO2 emissions – 419,862 tonnes
- Emissions decreased by – 3% compared to 2017
- Employee education and training NT$ 25 million
- Disaster relief in Hualien NT$ 20 million
- Volunteer participation increased by +262%
- Preserved DNA samples of 33, 008 taxe of plants
- Planted close to 10, 000 trees as part of mine ecological reclamation
- The Suao and Hoping plants ISO 14046 Water Footprint Certification
→ GOALS 2030
- Asia’s largest carbon capture and use experimental plant
-Commercialization by 2025
-Capture of more than 450,000 tonnes of carbon annually by 2030
-Benchmark reduction of 30% emissions by 2030
- The world’s only member of the concrete industry to achieve circular economy certification
-Continue to help the government and industries solve complex waste management issues.
-Process 1.57 millions tonnes of waste by 2030
- Taiwan’s first combo wind and solar plant
-Become a major operator in the renewable energy field by 2025, they plan to build renewable energy plants with a total generation capacity of 300 MW or above
- Taiwan’s only water footprint certification in the concrete industry
-Continue to save water, with a goal of reducing consumption by 1% annually.
- The highest rate of raw material reuse in Taiwan’s cement industry
-Continue to search for more types of alternative raw materials to reduce our environmental impact
- Asia’s leading investment in protected species
-Preserve tropical and subtropical plants from around the world to support biodiversity.
-By 2027, they plan to preserve 40, 000 taxa of plants.
- Launch community dialogues
-Continue to increase the depth and variety of communication channels between the company and general public.
-By 2020, they hope to reach people 1 million times
- Cultivate a sustainable workforce
-Continue to invest NT$25 million annually towards employee education and training.
-Expand employee development courses to build a workforce with an international vision
- Nurture an international vision
-Cooperate with international course providers or language training centers to further enhance the English language ability of our staff.
- Expand programs that give back to local communities
-Continue to invest NT$6 million annually in the Cement Academy program.”
- ISO (The first member of Taiwan’s cement industry to achieve 14046 Environmental Management – Water Footprint certification
- BSI (first member of the cement industry to achieve BS8001 Circular Economy certification)
Sustainable Development Goals
How company covers SDGs
According to the company
→ “Performance Highlights 2018
- Asia’s largest carbon capture and use expérimental plant – Invested NT$150 million in researching calcium – looping technology for CO2 capture. The Board of Directors approved a NT$600 million budget towards launching the construction of a new-generation plant. Our accumulated capture of CO2 through 2018 surpassed 355 tonnes.
- The world’s only member of the concrete industry to achieve circular economy certification – Obtained BS8001 Circular Economy certification. Our Cement kilns processed 892, 000 tonnes of non-hazardous waste, an increase of 77, 800 compared to 2017.
- Taiwan’s first combo wind and solar plant – By the end of 2019, they will finish construction of Taiwan’s first large-scale, combo wind and solar power power pant, located in Changhua Coastal Park. It will have a generation capacity of 10.1 MW solar power and 7.2 MW wind power, and is forecast to generate 32,890, 000 kWh of electricity in its first year.
- Taiwan’s only water footprint certification in the concrete industry – The Suao Plant achieved ISO 14046 Environmental Management – Water Footprint certification.
- Our cement plants used 2.79 million cubic meters of water, a decrease of 27% compared to 2017.
- The highest rate of raw material reuse in Taiwan’s cement industry – Achieved 100% reuse of clay, silica and coal ash
- Asia’s leading investment in protected species – Preserved the DNA of 33, 008 taxa of plants
- Launch community dialogues – Held the first cement handicraft workshops to showcase the creative capacity of cement and use culture and creativity as a new mode of dialogue between the company and society
- Cultivate a sustainable workforce – Invested NT$25 million in employee education and training. Total education and training hours reached 118,650.
- Nurture an international vision – Promoted our first on-site foreign language classes. Foreign teachers come weekly to TCC to teach English, creating a strong English study environment.
- Expand programs that give back to local communities – More than 500 people participated in volunteer activities in Taiwan and Mainland in China. Total volunteer hours reached 2,000. “
Taiwan Cement is mostly engaged in circular economy and Green energy. They are fully dedicated to demonstrate in detail to the public how much and how they get better each year in their management of environmental impacts, especially with water management. Indeed, they are the first member of Taiwan’s cement industry to achieve 14046 Environmental Management – Water Footprint certification. They communicate clearly on their goals and achievements, and are awarded the rating B.